Thursday, January 2, 2020

Writing Skills A Personal Narrative - 850 Words

Claude Sumner Mr. Rich Writing Skills: A Personal Narrative 15 January 2016 Throughout my life, I have faced many challenges. Like being kicked out of school, being kicked out of the house, and a lot of others. But all of those things add up to one challenge to me; myself. Everything I’ve been through in my life, now that I look back on it, has all been placed there so that I can learn about myself and who I am as a person. Coming from the area that I come from, an individual might be subjected to seeing a lot of crime. Back in 2010, I was living in a â€Å"suburban† neighborhood on the Northside of Charlotte, NC. I had been living there for a couple of years and the place I was living in was one of the best places I had lived in while I was up there. I don’t mean best as in the nicest neighborhood, but the best because it was the place that had the most impact on me. At the beginning of the school year, I was a pretty good student. I got most of my work done and I did not get into too much trouble with my teachers. The kinds of people I hung around and the groups of friends I had were the type of people that most people would stereotype. You know; big, burly, dreadlock wielding black men (I feel like I just described myself). One day while I was out with my friends, we all decided we wanted to walk to the Shell gas station. When we got there, I went to the back to get something to drink. While my back was turned, I heard the cashier lady scream. I turned around and I saw myShow MoreRelatedPersonal Narrative For The Nebraska State Writing Test761 Words   |  4 Pagesprepare my students to write a personal narrative for the Nebraska State Writing Test in January. Reading and writing are intertwined in my area of professional responsibility as I motivate my students to write a well-organized, creative personal narrative. As I have taught writing, I have found reading, writing, speaking, and listening go hand in hand when composing a personal narrative (Bruning, 2011, p. 299). First of all, reading is an important part of the writing process. It can be difficultRead MoreAppendix N1203 Words   |  5 Pages The first sentence is the topic sentence: It tells the readers they will learn about past narratives. The sentences that follow the topic sentence relate to the topic sentence because they provide examples of past narratives. Finally, the last sentence is the thesis of the essay, which expresses the author’s position on the topic and previews what the entire paper is about. You learn more about writing effective introductions later in this course. Supporting Paragraphs Every paragraph afterRead MoreI Am The Product Of Clark County Educational System Essay1503 Words   |  7 PagesReflection Introduction Writing has never been my forte. Nevertheless, this is not to say that I could not write. Throughout the semester with the assigned reading assignments and the given practical writing exercises I have come to grasp a vague understanding, I had never been taught how to write essays correctly. I am the product of Clark County Educational system. I have always struggled through my last classes and hoped to get out of my struggles this semester. One the greatest challenges thatRead MoreImportance Of Personal Writing915 Words   |  4 PagesFrom an early age, I’ve had trouble with writing effectively. I had absolutely no interest in learning to write, which was mostly because of how difficult it was to me. Often, I found it boring. As I got older, I found interest in music and poetry, sparking my interest to learn to write like musicians and poets. Up until that point, I had always been writing papers for school, often to write research papers or to write forced narratives. I neve r wrote anything for myself until about junior year inRead MoreReflection1179 Words   |  5 Pages Writing has always been one of my strengths, enabling me to freely express my creative thoughts in a controlled manner onto a piece of paper. Although my writing process takes a long time, I have complete power over the sentences and structures that I am weaving together to form a cohesive whole. Throughout High School, I was trained to write a structured essay in an ample amount of time by writing, editing, and finalizing my draft. Most of our work involved writing individual essays and researchRead MoreWhy I Am A English?947 Words   |  4 PagesEnglish Composition has taught me countless different skills that I can now apply to future writing projects. Among many things, the three lessons that I got the most use out of are the following; how to correctly structure an essay, different methods of writing, and the personal growth that I’ve had since taking this class. With English being my second language, it is difficult for me to express myself in writing form. It is extrem ely frustrating to have countless ideas and opinions that I wouldRead MoreExpository Writing : Writing, Expository, Persuasive, Descriptive, And Narrative757 Words   |  4 Pagesprobably not going to a job interview. Just like anything else, writing has different expressions. Writing is a form of communication; the person is writing to inform, persuade, describe, or tell a story. There are four main types of writing styles, expository, persuasive, descriptive, and narrative. We then choose what we want to read according to our interest in each category. Let’s look at expository writing. Expository writing is usually developed around one topic and is used to describe orRead MoreMy First Time Making A Career Goal1516 Words   |  7 Pagescourse in a short period of time. I learned how to study different methods of writing and writing in different purposes. I also learned different things just by having online discussions and most importantly, I learned how to improve my writing skills and how this course changed my perception of English and apply it in the future. I have gained so much knowledge about writing in this class and it made a great impact on my skills. These lessons I have learned in this class has been very beneficial andRead MoreDifference Between High School And College1294 Words   |  6 Pagessimilarities and difference between two or more things to make a topic more clear and understandable. For example, â€Å" Reason 5, when the authors were talking about studying skills, saying students really didn’t have to study in high school, but in college studying requires more time.† The difference between high school and college study skills is great example of showing comparison and contrasting, because it makes the essay effective by getting an idea across to the intended audience. While comparing andRead MoreSelf Reflection Essay984 Words   |  4 PagesThere were three other essay assignments. The first one was called a literacy narrative, the second one, a single source essay, and the third one, a multi-source essay. But how can I write about things I do not understand? I had never taken an online class before, much less, a class that required so much reading and writing. This is a college level course and I am just a junior in high school. I was clueless about writing a paper in a format and I possessed no knowledge of a works cited page. So, what

No comments:

Post a Comment