Tuesday, June 9, 2020

#oklaed Challenge My Entrance Video

posted on August 10, 2015 Yet another gauntlet has been thrown in the #oklaed blogosphere, and this time it’s Blue Cereal Education challenging us to choose our entrance videos. Naturally, I found 15 possibilities and couldn’t decided which one to go with. Some of the contenders included: Mandisa’s Overcomer I considered  this song because I believe I have overcome a lot to still be a teacher: Alternative certification, my own limitations as a human being, the current political climate, both at the state and federal levels, but also at a more local level. More importantly, all of my students are Overcomers, as well, and I want to encourage them to continue to overcome whatever is holding them back. TobyMac’s Get Back Up Continuing on the same theme, both my students and I have to Get Back Up each day and keep trying, even when we have a bad day, or we’re in the dark days of February and it seems like there is no light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. (I also considered Tubthumping’s I Get Knocked Down, but it didn’t seem to be as positive, and I want my entrance video to be very inspirational.) A few other contender’s included Black Eyed Peas’ Where’s the Love, Audio Adrenaline’s Kings Queens, and Britt Nicole’s Gold. But a colleague from last year, texted me out of the blue (pun intended!) last week and made up my mind for me. (And she didn’t even know about this challenge!) Here is my entrance video. Think I should play it during Open House tonight? Heehee! Or maybe I should just play the entire playlist†¦ Update: Another #oklaed teacher responded to this challenge by telling about a fellow teacher who encouraged her classes to choose entrance videos. I think this is a wonderful ideas, and will help the students see the importance of music/lyrics/poetry, as well, as see how fun they can be! Michelle WatersI am a secondary English Language Arts teacher, a University of Oklahoma student working on my Master’s of Education in Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum with an concentration in English Education, and a NBPTS candidate. I am constantly seeking ways to amplify my students’ voices and choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment